One of the area’s truly great walks, this daylong ramble follows the wooded banks of the broad and beautiful river Dart, on a route crammed with gems and jewels of human and natural history.
Start Mayor’s Avenue car park, Dartmouth. Distance 9 miles – Circular Walk – Grade Hard – Terrain – Footpaths, fairly even, occasionally muddy through fields in wet weather; surfaced roads. Obstacles and steep gradients – 10 stiles (3 can be bypassed); 3 flights of steps; 4 steep ascents; 2 steep descents. Accessibility – This route is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs. Public transport – To Dartmouth: bus service 93 from Kingsbridge, Modbury and Plymouth. Service X64 from Totnes. Ferry from Totnes to Dartmouth. For information on public transport in South Hams please call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.traveline.org.uk.
Refreshment stops – Many pubs, cafes and restaurants in Dartmouth. Toilets – Public toilets: on waterfront by Mayor’s Avenue Car Park, Dartmouth; 100m up road above Higher Ferry slipway. Parking – Mayor’s Avenue Car Park.(4 hours max in high season). We recommend you use the Park & Ride in Dartmouth.
OS map Explorer OL20 – Grid reference SX878515 –
Directions – 1. Leave car park past public toilets and turn right along the waterfront. Just past Station Restaurant turn left onto pontoon. Take passenger ferry to Kingswear.
2. From ferry at Kingswear turn left up road. Turn left opposite village stores over railway footbridge and follow yellow-marked footpath alongside railway line.
3. At the Higher Ferry slipway, turn right over the level crossing and up road. Just beyond public toilets, bear right up ramp and steps to climb through woods.
4. At T-junction, turn left along drive, signed ‘Greenway Ferry and Maypool’.
5. At main road take footpath opposite and to left down steps and through woods. At the tarmac drive take footpath opposite and to the right, leading into Long Wood.
6. At T-junction in woods, turn left and follow track through woods above river. Track eventually curves to right and uphill. Turn left along terrace path.
7. After steep climb, turn left over stile and follow path. Part way down hill, cross into field to right over stile and continue down along hedge line.
8. At field exit turn left, signed ‘ Greenway Gardens 3/4’. Pass through gate and down track past houses. Turn left at road.
9. Continue past Maypool House on your left, then through gate further down lane. By Greenway Estate information panel turn right through gate. Once over brow of hill bear left down field edge path. At the bottom turn right along Greenway Drive.
10. By the lodge house turn left down road to quay. Cross river via ferry.
11. Walk up road through Dittisham. After 350m, turn sharp left along Rectory Lane .
12. Turn right after 250m up track along public footpath. After a further 100m, turn left over stile and follow path up along field edges.
13. Turn left at the road. (Alternative easier route from here: continue along road past Bozomzeal then turn right and follow waymarkers through fields and round edge of wood. Turn left down green lane to rejoin main route at the bottom).
14. Main route: After 250m, turn left, signed ‘Permissive Path – Old Mill Creek’. Follow well-used track initially then follow waymarkers along field edges.
15. Where path meets green lane, turn left. After 200m, turn right down path which leads towards river. After crossing a stile cut diagonally down across next field and through woods.
16. At bottom of steps bear left, and then left again where you join a further track.
17. At Old Mill Creek cross over bridge and follow road up out of valley.
18. At T-junction in townstal, turn right along Archway Drive and then first left onto Townstal crescent.
19. Cross main road at pedestrian crossing and turn left down hill. Turn first right along Church Road and down hill.
20. Cross at next junction down Mount Boone. Fork right down Townstal Hill. At Vicarage Hill turn left down the narrow lane.
21. Turn right down steps of Brown’s Hill and bear left. At the bottom, head towards the church tower. Whey you meet the road turn left. Cross into Royal Avenue Gardens and bear left past toilets into car park.
Map available from Dartmouth Tourist Information Centre.