Cobbled Bayards Cove

Cobbled Bayards Cove has changed little since the quay was built in 1539. The Cove featured in the television series The Onedin Line. At the southern end of Bayard’s Cove is a small artillery fort built by Dartmouth Corporation in 1510 to provide additional protection for the harbour. The Pilgrim Fathers put into the Cove, on their way from Southampton to the America. They stayed for a time before setting off on their epic journey in the Mayflower and the Speedwell on the 20 August 1620.

Read More